Call it aadhar, adhar or aadhaar, it is a very important document in the complete list of documents for every Indian citizen. Many countries have one unique identification number for its citizens. This number is then used to capture all essential citizen details under it. Similarly, the Indian government has initiated a regime to use aadhaar number as the universal identification for Indians.
In this blog learn about:
- What is aadhaar card?
- How to apply?
- How to download online?
- Benefits of linking documents
- Linking all essential documents
What Is Aadhaar card?
The 12 digit aadhaar number benefits the citizens to avail various subsidies introduced by the government. For example, subsidy on gas. The project is run and functioned by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) since 2009. Aadhar card is issued once the application has been officially approved and an aadhaar number is assigned to you. However, as long as you have the number you don’t need the card.
How To Apply For Aadhaar Card?
If you still haven’t created your aadhaar card then go to UIDAI’s official website and create one. The process requires you to be physically present for your biometrics as the application is not 100% online.
Here’s the step-by-step registration process:
- Find a center near you.
- Book an appointment with the center. It is recommended to book an appointment in order to save time. You can walk-in at the chosen center as well.
- Fill the downloadable enrollment form or pick one at the center itself, fill all your details.
- Submit the filled form at the center along with other supporting documents – identity and address proofs.
- After the documents are verified and your biometric data will be captured – fingerprints and iris.
- Your registration process is now completed. Do collect your enrolment slip with a 14 digit number. You can check your aadhaar card number status by entering the enrollment number on the UIDAI’s website.
By registering your mobile number you can receive all details related to aadhaar card on your mobile.
How To Download Aadhaar Card Online?
In the UIDAI website fill all the e-aadhaar details. Once you receive and fill the OTP, you will be able to download your e-aadhaar.
Recently, the Indian government has taken up the unique identification project much seriously by making all essential documents to be linked mandatory.
Benefits of Linking Aadhaar Card
- Centralizes all citizen details – As all your important documents are linked to one document monitored by the government constantly, it becomes easier to eliminate fraud in the country.
- Restricts unauthorized migration – People who do not have authorized identification can be spotted easily. This enables the government to take accurate measures at the right time.
- Avails various government subsidies – To citizens, for example, LPG or ration card subsidy.
The essential documents include PAN card, mobile number, voting id, driving license, LPG, ration card and bank account to name a few. Here’s how you can link your aadhaar card to these documents:
Linking Aadhaar Card to PAN Card
Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a code which acts as an identification for Indian nationals filing income tax. The simple linking process is as follows:
- Go to income tax filing official site
- Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’
- Fill all the required details
- Again, click on ‘Link Aadhaar’
Make sure all the details – name, date of birth is same on both the cards. In case of any minor mismatch, OTP will be required. As per the revised regulation, the final date of linking is March 31, 2017.
Linking Aadhaar Card to Mobile Number
This can be done with just 4 easy steps:
- Go to the nearest mobile service provider
- Carry your aadhaar card copy and an active SIM card or mobile number
- You will receive OTP on your active mobile number which needs to be submitted to store executive. Biometrics are also required for successful linking process
- You will receive an SMS within 24 hours. To complete the e-KYC reply “Y” to the SMS.
Now your mobile number has been successfully linked. The government has enabled three different ways to link:
- OTP – in the store the service executive will send an OTP to your active mobile number. Verify the received OTP with the executive for successful linking.
- Agent-assisted – This is the safest and popular method for SIM and insurance verification. The telephone operators are instructed to neither disclose subscriber data to anyone nor stored in their device.
- Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) – It is a specially designed app for aadhaar verification.
The final date of linking is February 6, 2018.
Linking Aadhaar Card to Bank Account
Be it linking aadhaar card to SBI, HDFC or ICICI here’s physical linking process:
- Download, print and fill form 1. While filling the form be careful and provide accurate details only.
- Attach a copy of aadhaar card to the form and submit it to your bank branch.
- Once the bank representative receives and uploads your information, he will verify your submission.
- After everything is ensured the representation will attest your submission.
Do not miss out on carrying your originals along with you. You can also complete the linking via net banking:
- Login to your net banking account.
- Look for options like ‘Update Aadhaar Card details’.
- Once you click on the option provide all the correct details.
- After you hit ‘Submit’, the bank representatives will verify your details.
- You will be notified about your bank linking process via email or SMS.
You can check the status on your own as well:
- Go to UIDAI’s official site
- Click on ‘Check Aadhaar & Bank Accounting Linking Status’
- Fill all the required details
- You will get to the status after submitting the details
- The final date to linking aadhaar card to bank account is March 31, 2018
Linking Aadhaar Card to Voter ID
- Visit the NVSP portal and fill the required details
- Click on “Search” portal
- All your details that match the details you provide will flash on your screen
- Click on “Feed Aadhaar No”
- Fill the required details and submit
- A notification regarding the linking will show up on your screen
Linking via SMS:
- Type ECILINK <EPIC Number> <Aadhaar number> without any space in the middle
- Send it to 166 or 51969
Linking Aadhaar Card to Ration Card
The government will be able to keep a check on the individuals ineligible for receiving subsidized fuel or grains. Also, there would be no duplication of the ration cards. You can link aadhaar card to your ration card in 2 ways – offline & online. The offline linking process includes:
- Carry aadhaar card originals and photocopies of all your family members, a copy of your ration card, passport size photo of the head of the family to the rationing office.
- Once the documents have reached the relevant officials you will be notified of the linking status via SMS or email.
The online linking process involves:
- Go to the UIDAI official website
- Fill the required details
- Choose benefit type and scheme name as ‘Ration Card’
- You will receive an OTP which needs to be fed into further process
- You will receive notifications once the application is successfully verified and linked.
With all the final dates coming closer, linking your aadhaar card to all your essential documents ought to be your top priority. If you still haven’t begun the process then, its time to start now. Stay tuned to PayUmoney blog and grow your business effortlessly.
Author: Kinjal Shah
I have handpicked and curated all trending digital marketing tricks, online payments tips, latest fintech insights and much more in my blogs only for you. Don’t miss out on the muse!